UPS/Taiwan Summer Program
2021 Program Info Packet: (will be updated by April 2021)
FYI, please refer to 2019 program: (2020 program was cancelled due to COVID-19)
2019 Taiwan Program Info Packet in PDF
2019 Taiwan Program Schedule & Handbook in PDF
This summer intensive language program, for Puget Sound students only, offers two months (last week of June to the 3rd week of August) of Mandarin Chinese language courses at Tunghai University, Taichung, Taiwan. An interest meeting is usually scheduled on campus in mid-November the year before the program year, and the application is due in the following February. Interested applicants should have successfully completed at least one year of Chinese before participating the intensive language program, and should have a minimal of 2.5 GPA.
To learn more about the program, please download Program Description. Updated program info with program dates and fee are to be confirmed in the spring during participant orientation sessions. You can contact Prof. Lotus Perry, faculty liaison for the Taiwan Summer Program, at 253.879.3629 or email her at email@example.com, for further information.
Summer Application: due to the International Program’s Office usually the last week in January of the program year:
1. Please be sure to follow the process and complete steps suggested at Puegt Sound Study Abroad Timeline, Summer Programs.
2. Go to Puget Sound International Programs Study Abroad APPLY page , read the instructions, and then complete Summer Application online. Interested applicants must complete this Application by the deadline and be approved to study abroad by the International Education Committee. There is no program-specific separate application for the Taiwan Summer Program.
3. Once an applicant is approved to study abroad, notification will also be sent to the applicant re: acceptance into the Taiwan Program.
4. Participants of the 2016 Program will also attend four pre-departure sessions of orientations in the spring at Puget Sound campus.
2021 Taiwan Summer Program Dates: The program runs for eight weeks. Program dates are tentatively from June 28 to August 20, 2021. Students need to check in to the Alumni House on Tunghai campus on Sunday, June 27 (any time), and are encouraged to arrive Taiwan a few days to a week prior to the program starting date, and explore Taipei on their own if possible. Housing will only be provided starting at the first day (6/23) of the program. Classes will end on Friday, August 20, but students can stay in the dorm until August 23.
2021 program fee is to be determined by April 2021. Based on past programs, estimated program fee is as follows:
1. Program fee includes books, lodging, and local field trips: usually around $5,500
2. International airfare: $1,000-$1,200 (depending on where you fly out to Taiwan)
3. Local transportation: $300
4. Food: $700 (about $10 per day)
5. Personal expenses: $500-700
Participants should budget between $7, 500 to $8,500 (including program fee and all other expenses) for the 8-week program.
- See a slide show on the old program website: http://webspace.pugetsound.edu/facultypages/perry/studyabroad/tunghai/home.htm
- 2017 UPS Taiwan Summer Program Student Video (by Jake Webb)
Summer 2021 Summer Taiwan Pre-Program Orientation Sessions
1. Orientation Sessions:
Session 1: one-hour program overview meeting on campus in early March
Session 2: Chat with past participants over Taiwanese tea in late Marsh
Session 3: dinner meeting in April
Session 4: last details two-hour meeting going over orientation packet in late April
2. About Taiwan History:
For the April orientation sessions: review the following info about Taiwan history online before our field trip, will talk to us about.
a. Read about the Mainlanders in Taiwan and understand the terms Chinese: 外省人 wàishěng rén and 本省人 Běnshěngrén;
b. Read about general Taiwan history, focusing on the events after 1949, use either one of the following links, History of Taiwan (wekipedia.org)
or Taiwan’s 400 years of history: Important milestones from the early 1600s to the present (taiwandc.org).
Acceptance Letter and Taiwan Visa Application
There is no need for the summer program participants to apply for visa to Taiwan. However, for your info, and for those who might be staying longer after the program ends in August, here is the nearest Taiwan government office:
TECO-Seattle (Taiwan’s embassy in Seattle):
600 University St
One Union Square, Suite 2020
Seattle, WA. 98101 U.S.A.
•Inquiry phone:(206) 441-4586
•Fax: (206) 441-1322
•Office Hour: 9 am – 5 pm, Monday to Friday
Please call during office hour for inquiries over passport (ext.301), visa & PRC citizens travel permit (ext.302); document authentication (ext.311)
Making Travel Arrangements
You can search tickets online using www.kayak.com.
Get a price quote from the following travel agent. Compare and then purchase.
SEASONS TRAVEL, INC.
Owner: Theresa Pan Hosley firstname.lastname@example.org
32411 Pacific Hwy South, Suite B-1
Federal Way, WA 98003
Key Arrival Info (To be updated)
Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport 桃園中正國際機場
You will find the monthly newsletter for study abroad students, the Study Abroad Handbook, and links to campus offices/services and to various travel links including the U.S. Department of State Travel Advisories. Always remember if you have any questions or concerns while you are abroad, please contact staff in International Programs.