Chinese 303 | 三年中文: 大中華地區的商業和傳播媒體
課程題目與目標 Lesson Topic & Goals:
1. 題目一: 大中華地區的歷史和經濟發展
HOMEWORK to be completed by class on Wednesday (9/7):
Prepare for Topic #1 大中華地區|歷史和經濟發展
Intro Paragraph: 大中華地區或大中華區是一個地域名詞，現在主要用于經濟、商業等概念中，涵蓋以華人為多數住民之中華民國（台灣地區）和中華人民共和國（大陸地區及港澳地區），有时也包括新加坡、马来西亚。此概念常用在海峽兩岸的經濟或商業領域中，不涉及政治。(维基百科大中华)
1. 閱讀功課: (adequate preparation should allow you to: 1) read the selected text with notes; 2) know key words; 3) use your own words to retell main points; 4)answer study questions):
a. Read the Main Text: Point 1) Word | PDF (selection starts from: 中国大陆经济改革第一阶段是以引进市场机制……的激烈争论，阻碍经济的改革与发展。)
b. Prepare for Pre-Reading Quiz 1.1 – be able to read and comprehend selected key words and phrases form the text.
Group Assignment for Week #2
(please sit together this week with your teammates):
1. Riccardo Frisardi | Yvonne Louie
2. Bo Turek | Maxwell Heston| Phillip Brenfleck
3. Travis Stull | Shelby Lee | Hunter Bennett
4. Greg Gorence | Ada Yu | Gideon Sylvan
Conversation Hour Schedule for Fall 2011 (at Wyatt 2nd floor atrium) – please sign up:
9/7 Wednesday 3-4 pm | Topic: China/Taiwan Bound – let’s compare notes
9/13 Tuesday 1-2 pm | Topic: on Food (New Cinese 309 class in spring) and Moon Cakes (we will eat them)
9/21 Wednesday 3-4 pm | Topic: TBA
9/27 Tuesday 1-2 pm
10/5 Wednesday 3-4 pm
10/11 Tuesday 1-2 pm
10/19 Wednesday 3-4 pm
10/25 Tuesday 1-2 pm
11/2 Wednesday 3-4 pm
11/8 Tuesday 1-2 pm
11/16 Wednesday 3-4 pm
(Skip a week for the Thanksgiving week.)
11/29 Tuesday 1-2 pm
12/7 Wednesday (last day of class) 3-4 pm
1. 小考 Pre-Reading Quiz 1.1 (5-10 min.)
3. 分组活动: 1) Translate assigned lines from today’s readings to English, good enough to publish! 2) Identify FIVE key words from your assigned paragraph. 3) Go over 1) & 2) as a group, and then post under Week #02 Comments. (If you do not yet have an edublog account, please set it up. Click here for instructions to set up your account and display name in Chinese.)
HOMEWORK to be completed by class on Friday (9/9):
1. 閱讀功課: review Reading Assignment Point 1); go over group postings.
(Quiz 1.2 on Point 2) will be given on Monday 9/12. No quiz on Friday!)
2. Prepare for 分组活动: Chinese TV News 中國大陸改革開放30年億萬人民共享幸福生活 youtube (reviewthe first minute; stop at 1:04 – go for comprehension)
2. 讨论听力功课: 中國大陸改革開放30年億萬人民共享幸福生活 youtube
HOMEWORK to be completed by class during Week #03 on Monday (9/12):
1. 閱讀功課: (adequate preparation should allow you to: 1) read the selected text with notes; 2) know key words; 3) use your own words to retell main points; 4) answer study questions):
a. Read the Main Text: Point 2) Word | PDF (selection starts from: 中国大陆经济改革第二阶段是……分配多样化，允许一部份人先富起来。)
b. Prepare for Pre-Reading Quiz 1.2 – be able to read and comprehend selected key words and phrases form the text.
Background reading for Week #2:
1. National Congress of the Communist Party of China – Wikipedia.
2. In China, land of cheap labor, a push for … – Christian Science Monitor
Aug 24, 2011 – Foxconn, maker of iPhones and iPads, plans to add 1 million robots, doubling the world’s industrial robot population.
3. Outsourcing isn’t free trade with China. It’s a free ride for China
The New Economy.
4. [PDF] Doing Business in the Greater China Region
Doing Business in the Greater China Region. Amy M. Ling. July 12, 2008 … largely by two countries: China and the US.”*. *Global Economic Outlook 2008.
Classmate Recommended Readings:
1. China Takes Aim at Rural Influx Parents outside a demolished school in Beijing. Many schools attended by migrants to the city have been closed recently, displacing thousands of students. By The New York Times ANDREW JACOBS, Published: August 29, 2011. (Yvonne)